Authentication is the process of allowing a user to login to a Moodle site based on their username and password.
Moodle provides a number of ways of managing authentication, called authentication plugins.
- Manual accounts - accounts created manually by an administrator
- No login- suspend particular user account
- Email-based self-registration- for enabling users to create their own accounts
- External database- account details are located on an external database
- Moodle Network authentication- how different Moodle sites can connect and authenticate users
- No authentication- or testing purposes or if the Moodle site is not available on the Internet